Friday, June 29, 2007

A Poetry Repost

I mentioned a poem earlier in the week. Doubtless the thought was remembered, but I decided to post it here tonight, since I am in my own dreamworld that is always just a bit awry. It is a poem that I based off a poem that Hamlet wrote to Ophelia. Here is the excerpt from Shakespeare:

To the celestial, and my soul's idol, the most beautified Ophelia:

Doubt thou the stars are fire;
Doubt thou the sun doth move;
Doubt truth to be a liar;
But never doubt, I love.

O dear Ophelia, I am ill at these numbers; I have not art to reckon
my groans; but that I love thee best, O most best, believe it! Adieu.

-Thine, evermore, most dear lady...
-(Whilst this machine is to him), -Hamlet

Here is my poem, written when I was 17.

Doubt

If you want you can doubt the moon
I look on every time I pray
Or you can doubt the very sun
That I will use to find my way

Doubt the darkness when you sleep
The silence that will reveal dreams
You can doubt the pouring rain
Where I find nothing what it seems

Maybe you can doubt the miles
I never counted distance from
Perhaps your doubt may lie in stones
That adding can never contain the sum

Go to doubt the oldest ocean
Whose waters invite me to sail the seas
Doubt, then, the boldest, deepest color
Dulling in comparison to what I perceive

Even doubt the roaming clouds
Where answers I find when I look above
But one thing you can't ever doubt
Is why or when of who I love.


Some poems are timeless, take on meaning in the now. Strong emotions are my specialty.

No comments: